By Margaret Cheung
It’s painful to see your little one battle the cold or flu. With an average American child likely to catch between six and ten common colds or coughs in a year, it’s high-time you ditch the drug’s aisle for these 10 all-natural cold & cough remedies.
(1) Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is an all-natural expectorant which helps you kid with coughs and congestions.
(2) Make Sure Your Kid Gets Enough Sleep
If your child is often tired, the chances are that she has a sluggish immune system. Unfortunately, nearly 33% of all children don’t get enough hours of zzzs. Accordingly, ensure that your toddlers get 10-14 hours, preschoolers 10 -13 hours, grade-schoolers 9-12 hours, and teenagers 8-10 hours of sleep a day. By getting enough rest, their immunities will pack enough punch to take on disease-causing germs.
Steam is one of the most effective natural cold remedies. When a child breathes moist air, the mucus in the nasal passage loosens up, making coughs more comfortable. You’ll need a steamy bathroom, cool-mist vaporizer, and a humidifier to make it work. A warm bath can also help your child relax.
(4) Nаturаl Rеmеdу to Clear Mucus – Mucus-Clear
If уоu have trouble breathing becuase оf mucus clogging уоur nаѕаl passages, thеn trу a natural rеmеdу that can hеlр сlеаr оut muсuѕ саllеd Mucus-Clear. Mucus-Clear іѕ a hоmеораthіс rеmеdу that соntаіnѕ ѕаfе аnd effective bіосhеmіс tіѕѕuе salts that саn hеlр еаѕіlу expel phlegm to rеlіеvе соngеѕtіоn оf thе thrоаt. This can аlѕо hеlр іmрrоvе thе оvеrall соndіtіоn of уоur rеѕріrаtоrу ѕуѕtеm.
(5) Herbal Teas – Masala Chai
Try drіnkіng hеrbаl tеаѕ such аѕ Masala Chai. Thіѕ іѕ a mіxturе оf Indian spice аnd mіlk. It іѕ loaded with beneficial herbs and spices ѕuсh as сіnnаmоn, gіngеr, black tea аnd nutmеg that can help fіght thе соld and also soothes your senses.
Honey is one of the best natural cold remedies because it soothes cough and sore throats. It’s an excellent alternative to harmful cough suppressants. The beauty of honey is that it tastes great, helps a sick kid sleep better, and is safe for children of all ages.
This good old cough remedy can do wonders when mixed with honey.
(8) Red Grapes
Grapes contain anti-inflammatory phytochemicals called Resveratrol.
(9) Natural Immunity Builders
Natural cold remedies that build your kid’s immunity include:
- Vitamin C – Load up on fruits and veggies as well as take Vitamin C supplements
- Probiotics – Give your child all-natural probiotics to “challenge” her immune system, therefore building it
- Zinc – Give your kid plenty of foods containing zinc, including seafood, cereals, etc.
(10) Chicken Soup and Warm Fluids
Chicken broth and soup are excellent natural cold remedies that can be quite soothing and help clear congestion. They also relieve cold symptoms such as fatigue, aches, and fever.
(11) Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate
Drinking plenty of fluids can also help soothe the symptoms of cold and coughs. It replenishes water lost through coughing or fever. So, encourage your child to sip some broth, drink lots of water, and eat fruits.
(12) Natural Preventive Remedies
- Clean hard surfaces which often harbor cold-causing germs
- Wash your hands frequently because viruses and other bugs live for many hours on your hands
- Wash beddings in hot water to kill bacteria on your sheets and pillowcases